Basketball Working Group
- To increase the level of play and participation in basketball within the City of Toronto.
- To gather all basketball, league convenors, and organizations in order to build stronger relationships within the game of basketball.
- To address key issues faced by your basketball organization/club
- Learn more about the Toronto Sports Council and how to collaborate with us
- Share ideas on how to increase grassroots participation
- Share barriers and solutions amongst one another
- Sponsorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities; promote your service
- Establish a city wide basketball working group
The Basketball Working Group is made up of individuals who lead basketball clubs, convene a league, and run a basketball organization. If you would like to join the Basketball Working Group please click here to send an email to Adam Ali please put your organization name, contact name, contact number/email and a quick note in the email. LET’S UNITE!
Members of the Basketball Working Group are:
- David Rios
- Shawn Bala
- Myron Raja
- Abdi Mohamed
- Andrew Bale
- Sandra Hamilton
- Sherif Wahby
- Donovan Dill
- Tim Costigan
- Justin Bobb
- Adam Ali
The Toronto Sports Council and Bay Street Hoops are working together to encourage basketball organizations to talk together and share their barriers, stories, and best practices. We want to grow the level of basketball and participation in Toronto.
At the last Basketball summit, the following Barriers to Growth were identified:
- Resources – too many hours of operation for the amount of volunteers. People want to be paid, not many that will volunteer for free.
- Facility space, cost of permits.
- Best Practice: using older players to coach/mentor younger ones. Teach older players mentoring skills, perhaps pay these older kids a stipend.
- Use kids that need 40 hrs to do scorekeeping.
- Many kids undereducated, so can’t go further, can play but can’t function academically in school.
- Upward basketball: do mentoring for kids, to help them with schooling. Jane/Sheppard area. Do character building lessons, teach life lessons.
- Transportation: to get kids from point A to B.
- Is there a place for kids to play that are not at the OBA level? BWG can work towards this. Proposal idea to create a house league in your area.
- Equipment needed.